Thursday, October 4, 2012

Tourmaline: October's Other Birthstone

Lucky you October.  First you get flashy Opals, which dates back to at least the 15th century as your birthstone -- then something magical happens and jewelrs decide to also give you the lovely tourmaline as a birthstone.

I am very happy about this, because my Mother was born in October, and is very finicky when I have to shop for her.  There is a reason I have so much labradorite in my shop--it's the mommy, loving the gray flash of labradorite.

However, when researching birthstones, I round that there are so many versions, that I just have to write a whole bunch on the subject.  Sadly, she is a Scorpio, making my libra post null and void for shopping for her astrological birthstone.

But tourmaline, oh sweet tourmaline, Mom, you are one lucky chica.  Tourmaline is one of my favorite stones, but I am born in December, so I am mostly straddled with turquoise and blue topaz. Not a huge fan.
Super Chunky Tourmaline Necklace
Tourmaline comes in every color under the sun, including a remarkable "Watermelon Tourmaline" that actually has a few colors in the same cut of stone.  Each of the wonderful colors have different mystical properties, making it a really unique stone to play with. 

Plus, it's just super pretty -- my favorite is the pink and green, but that's just me.  I am pretty certain my sister would love the black tourmaline, which has some interesting historical references on its own.

All tourmaline enhances understanding, increases self-confidence and amplifies psychic energies. Tourmaline is said to neutralize negative energies, alleviate fear and grief and finally aid in concentration and communication.

  • Green tourmaline regulates blood pressure and strengthens the heart and nervous system. It  also stimulates digestion and strengthens the immune system.
  • Black tourmaline is a protective stone; especially against radiation. Black tourmaline also has a  positive effect on the body's loco motor system, while strengthening musculature.
  • Blue tourmaline helps combat water-retention, promotes detoxification of the entire body, strengthens the immune system. Blue tourmaline also reduces throat issues and bronchial problems.
  • Watermelon tourmaline  alleviates pain, protect the nerve cells and strengthen the immune system.
 ~Maggie~

No comments: