Monday, September 17, 2012

Scales of Justice

One of my dearest friends happens to be a Libra.  As my mother would say, the sun sign of a person doesn't mean as much as you may think.  For example, I am a Sagittarius.

But, Maggie, what does all this have to do with jewelry, you are asking?

Well, today I am going to talk about birthstones a little more in depth.  There are about a million different types of birthstones -- generally it's the month you are born in that matters for jewelers.  However, since we all know I am not a huge fan of my birthstone (turquoise), I am of course looking for alternative stones all the time to wear as "my" birthstone.

So Libra -- we know it's the scales of balance as the symbol for Libra -- although from the Libra's I have known, I affectionately call it the scales of justice.  The Libra's I have met are all very stoic in their beliefs of right vs. wrong.  I admire that.  Whereas I see a lot in a multitude of grays, the Libra's I know are black and white.

But Libra, ah Libra, you straddle two months -- as all sun signs do. So if you are a September Libra, you get Sapphire, and if you are an October Libra, you get Opal.  Lucky for both of you.

A maiden born when September leaves
Are rustling in September's breeze,
A sapphire on her brow should bind
`Twill cure diseases of the mind.

October's child is born for woe,
And life's vicissitudes must know,
But lay an opal on her breast,
And hope will lull those woes to rest.

But for the sun-sign, Libra, you should wear Peridot. Lovely, wonderful spring-green Peridot.  Why was this chosen for a fall month?  I have no idea, I am pretty sure jewelers played darts back in the day to come up with some of the birthstones. 

For example, in the 15th century, the September birthstone was chrysolite, and October still had Opal, but also had aquamarine.

Photo Credit

 Is it just me or does Chrysolite look an awful lot like Peridot?


Now, if you really want to wear stones that will focus you, Libra...think color schemes.  Sapphire blue, chrysoprase green, bloodstone, topaz blue.  See a pattern here?  Libra, your stones are all blues, greens, browns and blacks.



For a full list of stones that are fantabulous for Libra, check out this site:That Crystal Site

Happy Birthday, Libras!

~Maggie~

1 comment:

Tiberius said...

Wow these stones looks awesome and your articles are nice :D keep posting