Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Discussions of Spring

Spring is all around me -- with lovely flowers poking through the ground to torrential downpours keeping me inside several days during each week.  I spend my days alternating between the "I really have to finish the kitchen cleaning" to "ooh, look, something shiny on my desk to play with."

My mom and I, when discussing spring, eventually end up on the history of spring celebrations and house-hunting.  I know it's an odd mix, but Mom and I are an odd pair.  I often get nearly giddy when the sun comes out -- because that means I can run the kids into delirium, walk to the pool not feeling odd about wearing sweats and the like, and finally, after long gray winter days -- take much better photographs so that you can see the jewelry in all its glory. 

Oooh, look, something shiny.

It also brings us to the almost end of spring celebration:  Mother's Day.  Granted, it's for us Moms, grandmas, even aunts.  It's kind of fun, that Sunday where you can honestly tell your kids -- all I want for Mother's Day is for you to clean your rooms without me asking. Which is actually asking now -- isn't it?

This Mother's Day, my husband will be home -- which will be odd, to say the least.  I do not remember the last Mother's Day -- or worse Anniversary -- I spent with my husband.  I wonder -- really I do -- what will he do?

Which brings us back to my conversation with my Mom.  We spent a good hour lamenting on how hard it is to choose something for each other.  Inevitably we will end up at Barnes and Noble, buying each other a book or gift card.   It's tough -- do you have any go-to gifts for the mother in your life?

5 comments:

Internet Ninjaz Only said...

My go to gift for mom and for my wife too is a gift certificate for a mani/pedi at her favorite spa.

Unknown said...

I asked my husband to get me a vacuum this year -- he looked at me like: "I know this is a trap, I just know it is."

smolenskylaw said...

Tell your husband you want a Dyson. He'll love it so much, he'll forget his concerns about a trap.

smolenskylaw said...

And for the most special woman in my life, who also happens to be the mother of our child, she loves to be pampered at the spa.

Alice Coaxum said...

My hubby knows that he can't go wrong with taking me shopping for handbags or buying me jewelry if he wants to give me a gift.